It’s February 1st. I’ve been focusing on being present for 1 month. How have I been doing?
Well, since I’m known for my blunt honesty and my open-book nature: not so great.
There were a few times I was able to pull myself back into the present when I became stressed about the future. Or when I became depressed about the past. But those times were few and far between. Which I guess is to be expected right? I mean, I only just started a few short weeks ago. By December I’ll totally be a pro at this….right? (um, probably not, but that doesn’t mean I’ll quit working on it!)
Want to know what I’ve been reading this past month to focus on being present? Of course you do! Here’s what I’ve read in the month of January:
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a A Good Life by Mark Manson
- One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way by Robert Maurer
- Simple Joys: Discovering Wonder in Everyday by Candace Payne (you remember that video of the lady in her car laughing while wearing the chewbacca mask? That’s Candace!)
- A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose by Eckhart Tolle
- Freefall to Fly: A Breathtaking Journey to a Life of Meaning by Rebekah Lyons
Next up: what I’ve been listening too (I prefer podcasts over audiobooks):
- Oprah’s Super Soul Sessions, specifically the Monday episodes with Eckhart Tolle where they “book club” about his book “A New Earth.”
- Rise Together with Dave and Rachel Hollis
- Rise with Rachel Hollis
- For the Love with Jen Hatmaker
- The Brendon Show with Brendon Burchard
And finally, some of my most favorite quotes from this month (because, I LOVE a good quote! Want access to all the goodness? Instagram is where I post these: @em.mcvey )